Early 'Avengers' Reviews Point To Fan And Box-Office Gold
Will the superhero all-star flick live up to the hype? Fans who got an early peek seem to think so.
By Eric Ditzian
Chris Hemsworth in "Avengers"
Photo: Marvel "The Avengers," apparently, rules. After a string of Los Angeles screenings, nerdy tastemakers have been squealing all over Twitter about what director Joss Whedon has delivered for this loooooong-in-development superhero all-star flick. "Like, double plus awesome," declared Seth Green. "Lost" guru Damon Lindelof came up with a Twitter hashtag that's a little too colorful to reprint here without a tweaking: . To Lindelof, I say right back: F---yeah! Because, honestly, what a relief! For a while now on "Talk Nerdy," Brian Phares and I have been expressing worries like: » There are too many heroes! With Iron Man fighting for screen time with Captain America, with Thor potentially chaffing against Loki as much in a brother-vs.-brother brouhaha as in matters of plot-point development, "Avengers" is simply going to be overstuffed. No character or storyline will be given room to breathe. » Is the Hulk going to look hokey? Can the CGI beast hold his own next to his flesh-and-blood compatriots and not come off looking like a cartoon? » Are 2011's good-but-not-great Marvel installments ("Captain America" and "Thor") a sign of good-but-not-great things to come? And so on. Now, though, our cautious, please-Joss-don't-hurt-us approach to the film appears to be unfounded. "Avengers" hasn't yet screened in New York, so we can't throw our own nerdy support behind the film, but the future is looking superheroically bright. Moviegoers are taking notice too. Early box-office tracking suggests the movie will open north of MTV News recently, "and we want the audience to be with them every step of the way and come out of it going, 'That was an extraordinary experience, and now I want to pay to see it again.' " Are you planning on seeing "The Avengers"? Leave your comment below! Check out everything we've got on "Marvel's The Avengers." For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com. Related Videos Assemble Yourself For 'Avengers' Sneak Peeks Related Photos 'Avengers' Assemble At Los Angeles Premiere 'Avengers'
- 2 Israeli documentaries shortlisted for Oscar
- Did N. Korea's mysterious first lady give birth?
- Breast implants, kittens: Strange things left at hotels
- Armstrong's moon speech not so improvised, brother says
- The courage of Boehner and McConnell
- Bloomberg meets with Gabrielle Giffords on gun control
- White powder sent to paper in gun permit map flap
- Bradley Cooper & Zoe Saldana Split Again?
- Senate swears in a historic 20 female senators
- "Hunger Games" and "Hobbit" most-anticipated films of 2013: poll
- Clinton soars, Palin plummets in most-admired survey
- Will 2013 be the year Japan's economy turns around?
- Photos: British zoo starts annual critter census
- New day, new school: Sandy Hook students resume classes
- Depardieu gets Russian citizenship to protest France 'super-tax'